Such a great clinic! Special thanks to Linda Cleveland, M.S. USAT Coach Development Senior Manager and the clinic presenters:
- Jesse Kropelnicki, MS – USAT Level III, ACSM CpT, NSCA CSCS
- Ian Murray – USAT Level III, ITU & USAC Level II, Bike Fit Instructor: Cannondale’s Guru Academy & Dan Empfield’s Fit Institute Slowtwitch, USAC Certified Race Mechanic
- Karen Allen Turner, USAT L2 Coach, 2016 Team USA Coach
The following sessions really resonated with me:
- Periodization for Long Course
- Workout Design and Application for Long Course
- Advanced Nutrition for Long Course
- Strength Training for Long Course
- Video Analysis and Application for Long Course
- Advanced Running for Long Course
- Psychological Assessment and Application
As a final task, each of us were asked to present an athlete training plan based upon an assigned scenario. Each scenario presented a unique and challenging athlete situation. Topics covered a wide spectrum:
- Kona qualification
- Disordered eating
- Pro performance
- New Iron distance athletes
- Iron distance recovery
- Limited training time
- Critical training volume
- Unrealistic expectations
- Mental skills
The final presentations by all the attending coaches showed how detailed and specific our approaches have become.
Each coach presentation brought out innovative problem solving strategies for a diverse range of coaching challenges.
The presentations were the highlight of the week.
Key insights from the clinic:
- Critical Training Volume – What it takes to resist breakdown of performance during racing & key metrics to strive for in athletic development.
- Nutrition approaches for the athlete to optimize body composition, training adaptation, and race fueling
- Triathlon specific strength development to resist injury and improve form
As is always the case when attending formal accreditation classes, I walked away a stronger coach with new ideas and approaches that will strengthen the Startline coaching squad in 2018.
2017 off season group training here we go. Prepare for a great 2018 race season.