Startline Coaching offers USAT certified education courses for USA Triathlon certified coaches. Increase your knowledge, stay abreast of trends and best practices, and get hands-on experience teaching technique. Coaches that successfully complete the coursework will be awarded USAT CEUs.
Coaching the triathlon swim – Building confident & powerful open water swimmers – 5 USAT CEUs
In open water, swimmers must navigate current & rough conditions, manage anxiety, pace & draft effectively, swim straight, and sight without excessive energy expenditure. Simply put, the conditions are significantly different to the pool and require specific preparation.
When preparing athletes for the open water, coaches must know how to create safe conditions, manage groups of athletes that have different levels of confidence & experience, teach new skills, and build effective workouts for athletes that build open water conditioning and reinforce skills.
After completing this course, coaches are ready to bring their swimmers to the beach or lake and lead them in open water skills & training.
- Day 1 – Foundational work with coaches in classroom, in the pool, and on the beach.
- Coaches learn the key skills they must be able to teach in both the pool & in the open water.
- Coaches gain insight on best practices, and learn to develop effective and safe open water training sessions.
- Day 2 – Coaching practical with athletes.
- Coaches practice what they have learned by working with directly athletes in open water conditions.
- Coaches will form co-teaching teams and interact with groups of athletes from the local NYC area to execute a team lesson plan
Course location: Brooklyn, NY
Course start: 8:00 am 7/17/2021
Course close: 3:00 pm 7/18/2021
Early Bird Price: $600 – Register by 6/20/2021
Standard Price: $750
Note: The safety of all athletes, coaches, and staff is of paramount concern as we collectively face the health and safety risks of COVID-19. All Startline Coaching programs follow USA Triathlon Safe Return to Multisport Guidelines and Return to Racing Recommendations for Race Directors and the directives issued by federal, state and local authorities. All athletes, coaches, & staff engaged in Startline Coaching programs are expected to follow the USA Triathlon Return to Racing recommendations for Athletes as well as Startline Coaching Return to Training Safety Code of Conduct.
Note: As of Oct 1, 2021, and without exception, all participants in Startline Coaching programs must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to attendance at any and all in-person Startline Coaching training or clinic sessions.